44+ Printable and Editable ID Card Templates for MS Word
On this page, you can download dozens of professionally designed, fully customizable & Printable ID Card Templates and Formats. All of these ID cards are free of cost for personal and commercial use. Each of these templates is designed with high-quality vector graphics, SVG images, and MS Word’s built-in Shapes to make them highly printer-friendly. All of these templates are fully ready to use. All you have to do is to modify the placeholder information with your actual one and you are done!
What is an ID card or badge?
ID cards refer to the term “Identity Card”. Just as the name reflects these are specialized pieces of card that reveal and display the identity or recognition of the person carrying them. These bear particular information related to the individual that has been provided in the form of a proper format and structure. This information is special and unique for each person and depicts the individuality of each entity.
The card contains sequential and properly arranged data such as name, address, contact details, occupation, birth dates, and a photo displaying the facial identity of the card bearer. At the back or bottom of the card, special terms and conditions are listed that enlist the confines for the cardholder. Distinctive information in case of loss or misplacement of the card has been provided for the individual who comes across the misplaced card, in order to make sure it reaches the card owner.
Why does one need an ID card?
Individuals are asked to keep their ID cards secured with them at all times in order to make the individual’s essential data known, and clearly show one’s identity and affiliation. ID cards are also particularly useful for giving the card reader access to the card owner’s institution, organization, or any establishment that he/she is a part of and is recognized at. At a glance, ID cards show the rank or status of the individual explaining if he/she is a student, an employee, a professional, or a member, and so on. With the current security-centered situation of today, ID cards have rendered themselves useful for providing security clearance to individuals, so as to avoid safety-related vulnerabilities.
What are the different types of ID cards?
There are many different kinds of ID cards or badges based on the purpose they serve, a few have been provided here:
- State-issued ID cards/National Identity Cards (NICs): These types of cards verify who the individual is and contain information such as legal name, gender of the individual, Father’s or Husband’s name, Unique Mark of identity (such as a scar mark, or a mole mark), Date of birth of the individual, a unique National Identity Card Number, Family ID number, Current residential address, Permanent residential address, Date of card issuance, date of cards expiry, card bearer’s exclusive signature and thumbprint, and a photo of the card owner, QR code, and serial number.
- Driver’s license IDs
- Passport IDs
- Social Security Cards
- Student ID Cards/Institutional enrollment cards
- Military Identification Cards, etc.
- Company ID card/Employee card
What are the types of ID cards based on features?
- Polyvinyl chloride or PVC Cards: These are the most basic and simple kinds of cards that have been simply created out of plastic without making use of any kind of advanced technology. These are most commonly used as membership cards, student cards, medical cards, and company cards.
- Smart cards: Just so the name depicts these are smart, specialized, and improved cards that are also made out of plastic but have a special microchip and a built-in microprocessor that has been installed for a number of purposes and operations. These have either an exposed chip or an antenna attached. Smart cards are commonly used as electronic cards, transit cards, loyalty cards, and network security cards, etc.
- Magnetic Stripe Cards: These cards contain the user information inside a magnetic “stripe” that has to be swiped or run through a proper channel in order to allow the card bearer access inside particular vicinities such as an organization, or an institution. Once swiped, these cards allow the user to carry out a number of operations such as electronic access control, entry access, attendance system, etc.
- Proximity Cards: Proximity cards are becoming increasingly popular with the passage of time. The special feature that these cards possess is that they do not require to be swiped or inserted to gain access, rather these have a metallic antenna coil that after configuration allows the cardholder to gain entry inside a particular locality. These are used for opening gates, unlock secured equipment, and have a record of time and attendance.
How are ID Cards created?
Traditional ID cards were designed using a film-based method that involved pasting the individual’s photo and manually writing down the vital information and then laminating it. However, these old cards were not safe because they could be easily forged, therefore, digital printed ID cards are being created these days that are made using four components: a processing computer, software, a digital camera, and a digital printer. These are more safe, durable, advanced, and automated.
Which sectors require ID Cards authorization?
- Education: ID cards are essentially required to keep a student’s security record in check and are required at universities, colleges, schools, staff schools, etc. These ID cards help keep all the students enrolled in that institution in the record and save one from all the hassle of extensive and time-taking security verification protocols once no ID card is produced.
- Medicine: Hospitals and wards are sensitive locales not allowing every single person to enter without authorization. Only those verified through the ID badge are allowed to enter the hospital premises, so as to secure transparency, security, staff attendance record, threat elimination for the admitted patients, and proof of the check-in and checkout of healthcare workers and other staff members.
- Business/Corporate sector: In today’s fast, corporate-centered world ID cards have become a requisite for illustrating one’s business and industry-related identity to the customers. It has become essential in building a relationship of trust and faith between the business owner and the client. Industrial and business zones provide authorized access to their employees only and ensure no unauthorized personnel gains entry. These cards also provide other uses for the business employees such as attendance record, lunch attainment, security, and smooth working.
Therefore, it can be summarized that ID cards hold great significance for individuals who work, study, or belong to a certain organization or institution and have the benefit of convenience, efficiency, safety, and automation.